- Alford Town Offices
- Departments & Services
- E-Mail Us
- Latest News
- Meetings and Elections
- About Our Town
There will be a special town meeting at the Alford Town Hall on Thursday January 5th, 2015 at 7:00 pm to vote on the following Articles:
Article 1: To see if the town will vote to authorize the Board of Selectmen to take all necessary and appropriate action to establish and to maintain, in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 164 of the General Laws and in accordance with the rules, regulations and orders of the Department of utilities and the Department of Telecommunications & Cable, a municipal lighting plant for all purposes allowable under the laws of the Commonwealth, including without limitation the operation of a telecommunications system and any related services, or to take any other action relative thereto. (Written ballot required.)
Article 2: To see if the Town will vote to transfer from available sums the sum of up to a maximum of Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00) for the purpose of engaging Special Counsel to assist the Town in the establishment of a municipal lighting plant on matters relating to the Alford broadband initiative, or to take any other action relative thereto.
Posted in Fire Department on November 29, 2014
The Alford Fire Department has recently received a grant from Sheffield Kiwanis Club to purchase 911 signs for the residents of Alford who do not have them. If you would like to receive one of these signs, please send a response to the Fire Department via the e-mail form on the town’s web site. Thank you for your continued support.
Posted in Broadband Committee on November 20, 2014
The Alford Broadband Committee meets most Monday nights, with additional meetings called as needed to address special issues, as we continue to move toward expediting and finally realizing Alford’s FTTH build-out. Please take a look at some of our recent progress:
- We had the opportunity to articulate concerns, share information and report the committee’s progress to our State representatives and to the Massachusetts Broadband Institute with direct one-on-one meetings this past fall.
- We had a very constructive meeting with the top management of both Massachusetts Broadband Institute and the Massachusetts Technology Collaborative on November 18th to discuss our collaboration with those institutions and how best to facilitate and expedite our town’s individual Broadband Initiative.
- We continue to work toward achieving an agreement with MBI that would provide for financial assistance for the installation of our FTTH network.
- We continue to engage with and stay informed of Wired West’s efforts at a regional build-out.
- On October 20th we conducted an informational meeting for participating vendors who had questions regarding the submission of a quote package for our Design Study.
- We received four bids for the Design Study, and we believe the Select Board will award the contract very soon.
- The completed Design Study should be received by the Select Board in mid- to late-January, at which time we will have a much better idea of how the network would be set up, and the estimated total cost to the town.
- We continue to communicate and meet regularly with the Select Board and Alford’s Town Counsel.
Additional updates will follow via Alford’s Town web site and through the Alford-Assist email postings.
Posted in Historical Commission on October 31, 2014
The Board of Selectmen are looking for someone to sit on the Historical Commission for a 1 year term. If interested, please contact Debbie Blackwell at the Town Offices.
Posted in Tax Collector on October 24, 2014
You can now pay your Excise, Personal Property and Real Estate taxes online! Just look in the right-hand column on the town’s web site for the button, click on it and a new page (or tab) will open up the town’s payment site. You have two (2) options for paying your bill; either by electronic check or by credit card. Visit the town site and click on the button for more payment details.